Monday, February 10, 2014

I'm Back

In September we embarked 100% into Stage 1 of Feingold.  We also entirely vanished from the blog and internet world, as on our first few days of vacation.  The computer displayed the wonderful Blue Screen of Death.  And at this stage for our family, more important than sharing our journey, was the journey itself.  So months passed, 6 to be exact.  And rather then recording our experiences, we did just that, we experienced it.  We lived it. 

But the longer we work with our diet changes, the more firmly I believe in the decision.  The more I become an advocate for all children, families, people, and the more I do want to share what I know, and encourage others to consider embarking on a similar journey.

So again, in September, we embarked 100% stage 1 Feingold. As you may, or may not recall, Feingold (back in the 70s) identified a very specific group of foods/additives that caused ADHD behavior, upon eliminating them, the behavior was either improved, or entirely gone.  Those foods/additives include, petroleum based preservatives, petroleum based food colorings, artificial sweeteners, and a very specific list of fresh fruits/vegetables that contain a naturally occurring compound similar to Asprin, called Salicylates  Right up until that last sentence I share with everyone, and nearly everyone gets a big “HECK YEA!!!!”  And then with the addition of the last one, it’s as though you hear a scratch on the record, everything comes to a stop, and you hear crickets as people think about the consequences of something so ‘drastic’.
But so far, I felt like I hadn’t found the ‘base line’.  I knew I had seen improvement but it still felt like something wasn’t perfect.  So what did I have to loose.  Well I’ll tell you what we lost, apples, peaches, fresh pineapples, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, grapes, balsamic vinegar, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries…  But I kept telling myself it was temporary, and that with some luck we could add things back into her/our diets.

And now I understand the importance of the base line.  Because although we were 100% stage 1 Feingold, I still felt like there was a piece to the puzzle we were missing.  And then, in a miserable bedtime fit.  It ALL became ENTIRELY clear.  Corn Syrup.  Feingold has a category called…  Beyond Feingold.  Beyond Feingold, you remove some additional things that have also been proven to create issues.  Corn Syrup, is one of them.  And so we did.

It’s been a challenging 6 months.  We had to face the holidays, and multiple holiday gatherings, easily 5 birthday parties, and a winter of seemingly non-stop snow.  I had to teach Ellie to politely decline foods offered to her outside of our home.  And explain to her, hosts, and other children why she didn’t eat those things.  It’s been challenging for everyone.  For Ellie, for myself, for my husband, for our family, and for just about everyone who’s path we crossed that wanted to offer Ellie something to ingest.

But what have we gained?  A challenging little red headed girl, that can still drive us bonkers, but that has come out of her shell, has more good days than bad, and it a joy to be with.  We had the most wonderful Christmas, and enjoyed every blessed moment that we got to spend together.  I gained a little girl that you can discuss choices, and consequences.  And a child who can stand up for what is best for her own health.

I know many people look at what we have done, and think it’s wonderful, but that they couldn’t, or that they don’t need to.  I whole heartedly disagree.  The list of symptoms that these food additives can elicit is far longer than I care to get into in this particular post, but it’s fact.  These additives don’t belong in our bodies.  Not my daughters, not my son, not mine, and not yours.  Far too long we have taken the stance of how much harm can a little bit do?  What if it can do a lot of harm.  Are you willing to chance that with your family? 

Is this journey challenging?  Yes.  Is it hard?  Yes.  Is it worth it?  Yes.

And so I again find my voice, so that I can impact other families, because if I can save yet another family, or child from the heartbreak we have had to deal with, all as a result of the food entering her body, then I can feel like I’ve made a difference in the world.  Who knows what that one child will now be capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment